Have the Poles gone mad? I wrote off the communist witch-hunt, of which McCarthy would have been proud, as once-off silliness brought about by group shame of collaborating with the communist secret police. There was also healthy silliness – the Polish rock band Big Cyc (Big Tit), whose 4th album featured a nun drying condoms on a clothes-line.
But the silliness has taken a turn for the worse:
A senior Polish official has ordered psychologists to investigate whether the popular BBC TV show Teletubbies promotes a homosexual lifestyle. The spokesperson for children’s rights in Poland, Ewa Sowinska, singled out Tinky Winky, the purple character with a triangular aerial on his head. (source BBC)
Teletubbies are queer? What on earth has got into the woman?
It would appear that the affliction has spread to neighbouring Belarus:
Customs officers in Belarus have ordered drivers crossing over from Poland to carry a condom or be denied entry into the former Soviet republic, Polish customs officials claimed on Tuesday. The Belarussian guards have allegedly demanded that drivers include a condom in the emergency first aid kit which road regulations say they must carry. (source)
I’m racking my brains trying to think what the motivation could be.
- Polish men can’t resist Belarussian women and Belarus doesn’t want their gene pool polluted?
- Belarussian women all have the clap and their authorities want to spare the Poles? (seems unlikely)
- Belarus wants to insult the Poles by implying they all have the clap?
- Belarus wants to insult the Poles by implying they can only get it up once (by insisting on only ONE condom)?
- The Belarus have a secret agenda in which condoms are used for something else than contraception?
If anyone has the true reason, please let me know 🙂
Oh for goodness sakes! I saw this too, and also thought it was ridiculous. I am aware that various gay activists and the like have embraced him as “gay”. Some people dressed up as Tinky Winky for the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras. But so what? I don’t think a child would see Tinky Winky as homosexual. And the concept that a child could somehow be “converted” to homosexual by Tinky Winky is just plain absurd. REALITY CHECK PLEASE!
I hadn’t heard the condom one. No idea what that is all about. Will ask my friend with relatives in Belarus.